Thursday, November 20, 2008

Clinical Rotation - Obstetrics

Well, once again I am late posting my adventures in clinical. This last round of clinical was in obstetrics and it was very interesting. I know it is not for me, but is was an amazing experience! We spent 4 weeks in obstetrics, and we got to spend 2 of those days in labour and delivery. My first day in labour and delivery was amazing. I got to witness and assist with TWO vaginal deliveries! It was literally breathtaking! I've now sat here for almost 10 minutes trying to figure out how to describe it, and I still can't....so I will just leave it at that. It was such an amazing experience, and something I will never forget. (The second day in labour and delivery there were NO births that day!)

The rest of our clinical was spent caring for mother and baby post delivery. I got to give a baby an IM injection, removed a couple IV's, and did numerous newborn assessments. I also did assessments on the moms post-delivery. I was fortunate to get all fabulous moms that were so patient with me as a student. Thankfully this clinical was a lot more laid back where we weren't so rushed, so we got to take our time in learning our skills.

Overall, it was another great clinical rotation. So far this year, clinical has been a positive experience :) I have one more clinical rotation this winter - a 6 week medical rotation again, but I am still waiting to hear when and where...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gynecologists and obstetricians remain associated with solving different women’s health complications.

Obstetrics Boynton Beach

My Nursing Degree Online - Directory of online nursing degrees and certifications, job listings and nursing blog.