Sunday, November 20, 2005

My experience on crutches

K - this is more of a vent than anything....

Ok - it was bad enough when I fell at boulevard and people literally stepped over me without looking back to see if I was ok - but boy have I gotten my eyes opened about people. Now we've all said it, "when I was their age there's no way I would've gotten away with that!" or "kids now adays just aren't raised right" Well I would like to set the record straight that sure, times have changed, and generally young people seem to be getting themselves into more trouble as there are more temptations out there to just go crazy nuts, but my experience this week on crutches has shown that young people really aren't all that bad! Every young person I've come into contact this week (I'm talking 12 - 20 both male and female), when they've seen my hobbling along, they've slowed down to help me out, open doors, ask if I need anything, etc. Perfect strangers. Yet the number of adults that have slammed doors in my face, closed elevators in my face, honked their horns at me while I am trying to cross the street, oh the list goes on, it is just ridiculous. Best example, Canadian Tire on Saturday. Stood in line for 20 minutes at the auto center. Went to leave, nice young man opens the door for me. Just as I am going through the door, an older man who was walking behind me shoves me aside to walk through the opened door himself. (?) Then slams the second door in my face. Doesn't even look back. And what a great example he just set for the young man who so nicely opened the door for me. And he couldn't open the other door himself - he had to walk through the door that was being held open for the "handicapped" person? Now I guess I shouldn't be totally surprised cuz yes no one's perfect, and as time goes on, generations get more and more selfish. But I hope the next time I go to grumble about 'young people nowadays' that I never forget this past week....

No comments:

My Nursing Degree Online - Directory of online nursing degrees and certifications, job listings and nursing blog.